Skip to content


Mental Health

Thank you to /u/blacknwhitelife02 for putting this together!

Mental Health Resources through UBC

Therapy Assistance Online

  • Basically an online library about resources and modules about stress management, mindfulness skills, relationship skills, substance use issues.
  • Register with UBC email
  • Link:

Drop in Single Session Counselling

Brock Hall
Room 1040
1874 East Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1
Counseling Services Annex
1930 East Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1

Embedded Counselor

UBC Psychology Clinic

Treatment offered for:

  • Anxiety Disorders
  • Panic Disorder (with or without Agoraphobia)
  • Social Anxiety Disorder
  • Specific Phobias (e.g., fear of flying, fear of dogs)
  • Generalized Anxiety Disorder
  • Depression (excluding Bipolar Disorder)
  • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
  • Relationship and life transition difficulties
  • Perfectionism

Neuropsychological assessments

  • Involves standardized testing of cognitive skills (e.g. attention, memory, thinking speed) that are sensitive to the effects of brain dysfunction.
  • A neuropsychological assessment includes a clinical interview (history-talking), 3-4 hours of standardized testing, a follow-up meeting to discuss the test results, and a written report. Recommendations for treatment may be offered, but treatment is not provided as part of this service


  • $15-50/session for individual therapy
  • $10-50/session for group therapy.
  • $360-$1300/comprehensive neuropsychological assessment

Wellness Advisors

  • Wellness Advisors may connect you to brief counselling, a flexible, individualized approach to focus on specific changes. You’ll work collaboratively with a counsellor over a short period of time to address your main concern and develop tools, strategies, and resources together.
  • Phone: 604-822-3811
  • Virtual and in-person appointments

UBC Student Assistance Program

  • You can ask to get connected with a counsellor who also has a private practice. Your first few sessions will be free then you can use your extended health benefits to cover additional sessions.
  • The UBC Student Assistance Program (SAP) is a free, 24/7 wellness resource for students. Services include personal counselling, life coaching, group programs and more based on your needs.

  • Link:

  • Phone: +1 833-590-1328


  • You can only be referred to psychiatry by a doctor.

Indigenous Mental Health and Wellbeing Program

Offered by the program:

  • Free and confidential drop-in and brief counselling services
  • Planning sessions to help you meet difficult challenges while attending UBC, including how to locate a doctor or find community resources like a daycare
  • Mentoring from professional staff
  • Connections with community resources that encourage wellbeing
  • Facilitation and support of cultural work


  • Brock Hall Counselling Services
  • First Nations Longhouse

Group Counselling

  • In-person and online group programs

Programs for both UBC Vancouver and UBC Okanagan Students

Programs for only UBC Vancouver students

Support Groups and meetings


  • Link: About Kaleidoscope
  • The Kaleidoscope offers weekly peer led support groups for undergraduate and graduate students living with the experience of mental health concerns.

UBC Student Recovery Community

UBC Sexual Assault Support Centre

  • Link:
  • ASC Support & Advocacy staff facilitate peer support groups for prospective, current and recent UBC students of all genders who have experienced any form of sexualized violence, harassment and/or abuse.

UBC Peer Grief Support Group

Directory of off-campus counsellors

UBC Bluecross Studentcare plan & Mental Health

The practitioner must be one of the following:

  • Registered Psychologist
  • Master of Social Work
  • Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC) within the province in which the servicewas rendered. In British Columbia, RCCs must be registered with the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors (BCACC), Canadian Professional Counsellors Association (CPCA), or Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA).
  • Canadian Certified Counsellor (CCC) only when registered with the CCPA
  • Licensed psychological associate registered with the College of Psychologists of British Columbia


  • Covers 80%-100% of the service cost
  • Maximum coverage is up to $1250

Steps for filing a claim:

  1. You will have to make an account here:
  2. UBC's policy number is 43979
  3. Your ID Number will be your student ID number
  4. On the main page on the right side there's an option to file a claim. The first claim for therapy can take 2 weeks to be processed. Ensure to save your bill (that has all details of your therapist) because that'll be needed for filing a claim.
  5. Enter all the required details about your therapist and their address and submit claim.